Even though DSLR cameras can give you the best quality, they can be heavy also. So let me share with you the qualities that can make a good camera for hiking and my recommendations.
- Light weight. When you are traversing high peaks every weight that you carry on your back would matter.
- Waterproof. To stand against water when it rains or if you drop it on a river.
- Must be good in automatic mode. Things can get very fast in hiking so there is no time to make your settings or focus. Perhaps you are in a group and you don’t want to get left behind or it might be raining and you have to be quick. You may want your photos taken so you ask other people to take your photos so they can simply click a button.
- Must be good in low light because it can get very foggy in high mountains.
- Small in size so they don’t take so much space on your bag.
My camera recommendations
Point and shoot camera
If you are the type of person who owns a DSLR but sets it automatic mode only then point and shoot camera is the best camera for you.
The good – This camera got good resolution, they focus fast and shoots well in automatic mode. It is light and small. It has many brands in every price that anyone can afford.
The bad – Not all are waterproof but some of them are, like the Olympus Tough TG-4
The good – Go pro got a great quality when it comes to clarity and resolution that is almost up to par with a DSLR. It is small and light. It is waterproof in it’s case.
The bad – The only thing I don’t like about it is that the monitor is too small so it is hard to compose. It is expensive and buying cheaper action cams is not a good idea because they don’t have the same quality as the Go pro.
If you want a camera that has the same quality and controls of a DSLR then this is the best choice.
The good- It is lightweight. It is small and they say the quality is much better because of the absence of the mirror. Can be cheaper than a DSLR and some of them shoots video in 4k like the Lumix. You also have the option to change to prime lenses. It is versatile that you can use it in other types of photography,
The bad – Just like all DSLR it can take time to focus for those who don’t know how to use it. Automatic focus can be tricky for those who don’t know where to position the focus area. It requires that the user knows how to use the setting well so you can’t ask your friends to just take your photo and expect it that it will be great. It is not waterproof.